Australia Day is the official national day of Australia. Celebrated annually on 26 January, it marks the anniversary of the 1788 arrival of the First Fleet of British ships at Port Jackson, NSW, and the raising of the flag of Great Britain at that site by Governor Arthur Phillip.
In present-day Australia, celebrations reflect the diverse society and landscape of the nation, and are marked by community and family events, reflections on Australian history, official community awards, and citizenship ceremonies welcoming new immigrants into the Australian community.
2019 Australia Day Award Nominations
Do you want to recognise and honour the outstanding achievements of individuals within our community who are worthy of recognition for helping to make our region a better place to live?
Nominate someone for the 2019 Australia Day Awards who showcases, promotes or acts as an ambassador for the Richmond Valley. Every year, Richmond Valley Council recognises community members who have made an outstanding contribution to the Richmond Valley for exceptional achievement, by presenting the Richmond Valley Council Australia Day Awards.
Nominations are now open for the 2019 awards across the following categories. Select from the list below and click on the link to view more information of individual categories.
- Citizen of the Year (25 years of age or over) - Click Here For More Info
- Young Citizen of the Year (24 years of age or under) - Click Here For More Info
- Sportsperson of the Year (18 years of age or over) - Click Here For More Info
- Young Sportsperson of the Year (17 years of age or under) - Click Here For More Info
- Volunteer of the Year (25 years of age or over) - Click Here For More Info
- Young Volunteer of the Year (24 years of age or under) - Click Here For More Info
- Nominees must be a resident in the Richmond Valley and an Australian citizen.
- Nominations will not be accepted if an individual has won the same category in previous years.
- Nominations must be submitted on Richmond Valley Council’s official Australia Day nomination form.
- The General Manager must receive nominations by 5pm, Monday 31 December, 2018.
- The decision of the Australia Day Selection Committee is final and correspondence will not be entered into in regards to that decision.
- Awards will not be granted posthumously.
- Contact details of nominators and nominees may be forwarded to local media.
How to nominate?
You can nominate a Richmond Valley citizen for an award by completing the online nomination form here